ELD International Projects 2014
- Over six-months, Leigh Dance advised the management, client service and international committees and the marketing and business development team of an AmLaw 100 firm. The project focused on actions to promote the firm’s international capabilities across the firm and in various practices/industry groups. ELD International also worked with the committees to develop materials and data to use in client relationship-building. Leigh Dance conducted sessions at the firm retreat to raise awareness among the firm’s lawyers of globally opportunity and provided tips for effectively presenting the firm’s international experience to clients.
- ELD International organized a successful business development program for a US law firm in London to develop strategy and materials to promote disputes practice and regulatory practice to international clients. As part of the three-month project Dance moderated a roundtable gathering in London in March, attended by 19 senior corporate counsel of global companies.
- ELD International advised and implemented steps for the corporate law department of a €13 billion European industrial company to improve recognition (by internal business clients, external analysts and peers) that it is a significant asset to the company. The ELD assignment involves various aspects of communications, and best practices for clarity and for business alignment. Recently Dance helped re-structured and re-wrote the entire English website sections of the company’s governance, compliance and legal risk management. Achievements to date include recognition by Financial Times Innovative Lawyers awards for In-house Innovation.
- The Global Counsel Leaders Circle, a group founded and directed by Leigh Dance, welcomed 6 new members, from Boston Consulting Group (London), Cisco (Brussels), MBDA Systems (Paris), Orbit Showtime Networks (Dubai), UniCredit (Rome) and Volvo Financial Services (North Carolina). The Leaders Circle celebrated the promotion of three members to Group General Counsel positions in the last 18 months: Nick Hornung of Dubai World, Alexia Henriksen of Volvo Financial and Adam Smith of Safran. Member Nadine Faruque became the Head of Global Compliance for Deutsche Bank.
- Leigh Dance conducted research with CLOs in global companies in North America, Europe and the Middle East, which were presented in the Global Counsel Leaders Circle’s Target Topic Report entitled Sea Change: How Corporate Governance Demands are Elevating the General Counsel’s Job. American Lawyer’s Corporate Counsel publication excerpted the report in a series of 3 articles in July and August 2014.
- ELD International partnered with the Global Association of Corporate Counsel to organize a forum in Rome among in-house and outside counsel, regulators, corporate executives, directors and regulatory officials. The focus was building support to raise the stature and defend rights of corporate counsel in Europe. Leigh Dance spoke on the panel with senior counsel from BCG and Philip Morris Int’l, ACC, partners from Orrick and Paul Hastings, and a government official. ELD will be working with ACC to expand this advocacy effort in 2015, with symposia in Paris, Brussels, Geneva and other European cities.
- Dance organized and led a meeting of leaders of an AmLaw 100 firm to present and discuss the firm’s particular opportunities and threats posed by developments in the global economy and their impact on legal services competition. The project involved interviews with a number of partners and a report.
- ELD International organized and ran three conferences of the Global Counsel Leaders Circle in London, New York and Rome with law firm hosts K&L Gates, Winston & Strawn and Orrick, and member host Boston Consulting Group. Speakers included General Counsel and executives from AB InBev, HSBC, Legal & General, Canadian Helicopter, Computer Sciences Corp, and UniCredit. Comments received from guests and members:
- ELD International developed and implemented programs for two law firms to improve their directory rankings internationally, working with lawyers and staff to improve content and process for effective directory submissions that bring a decent return on investment.
A sampling of recent projects, 2010-13
- ELD International organized and facilitated three roundtable discussions among heads of Legal in major European companies, to better understand their challenges and priorities in responding to government regulations, in Amsterdam (hosted by Allen & Overy), in Rome (hosted by Gianni Origoni) and in Geneva (hosted by Eversheds). The Association of Corporate Counsel’s Advocacy group underwrote the roundtables in order to understand how to better work with and support corporate counsel in advocacy efforts. Roundtable discussion leaders were Daniel de Feydeau, ABB; Dan Fitz, BT Group; Massimo Mantovani, Eni; and Bill Mordan, Reckitt Benckiser.
- Developed programming and facilitated the fourth meeting of the Global Counsel Leaders Circle in Washington DC. The two-day meeting was attended by senior global counsel from several countries as well as Chief Legal Officers in the Washington DC area.
- Wrote, edited and sourced material for a new and comprehensive online resource for the Association of Corporate Counsel: ACC’s Value Challenge in Europe: How to Get Higher Value from your External & Internal Resources. For this resource, ELD International developed a number of tools, tips and case examples on deriving more value, with BT, Saipem, Heinz, Coca-Cola, Paul Hastings, Eversheds, Wragge & Co and Baker & McKenzie. The resource is expected to be made available to ACC members in January 2013.
- Led a benchmarking study for a group of corporate counsel on global litigation practices in large global companies, including the organization structure and allocation of global dispute work and in-country disputes, and the intersection of the compliance function and the global litigation function.
- Led a one-day law department retreat on implementing better key performance indicators, for a global corporate law department based in Europe.
Law Firms & Law Firm Networks
- Developed the program, speakers, and led the 2nd Annual World Law Group Member Firm Leaders’ Summit, in Lima, Peru. Managing and senior partners from nearly 20 law firms spent the day focusing on issues, opportunities and strategies required for effective leadership today. The interactive program included a panel of General Counsel from international companies based in South America, and presentations by the firm leaders.
- Conducted one-day training workshop for Europe-based associates of Amlaw 100 firm, on topic of service excellence and building client relationships through exceptional service.
- Facilitated a special session with the Board of Directors of a major law firm network on considering the opportunities and threats presented by changes in the global legal services market. Prepared and presented an overview of prominent changes: law firm mergers, adoption of LPOs by many global law firms, etc.
- Developed and implemented a program for a US-headquartered law firm to improve its directory rankings internationally, working with lawyers and staff to improve content and process for effective directory submissions.